Zirdland (sponsor of That First Line writing contest these many years) is hosting a new contest for unpublished novels. They're unabashedly up-front about their motives: After 4 years of development, it’s ready. Zirdland’s Story Arc Angel and analysis tool is in beta test right now. You can help us by entering our new contest. All you need is a completed novel that is unpublished. (Self-published works are acceptable.) There's no entry fee.
Since we're all being up-front about our motives, here's my request:
1. Explore Zirdland. It's not entirely up and running, yet, but it looks promising. What do you think?
2. Consider the Arc Angel Story Analysis. Can software really do this?
3. Think about registering a copyright for your novel. It's only $35 - $45.
4. If you're comfortable with the premise, enter the contest.
5. Come back here and post your thoughts. Collective wisdom far outweighs my humble little ploddings, and I'd appreciate knowing your gut reactions.
Bottom line for the contest:
- No entry fee;
- $1000 for first prize;
- Enter as many times as you want;
- Enter variations of the same novel;
- You maintain all rights to your novel;
- Only excerpts of top three are posted on-line;
- Your win will be publicized (via a press release to literary journals, publications and our publisher/agent database)
- The Contest ends at midnight on 10/10/08. The winner will be the highest scoring entry at that time.
- Download a desktop widget so that you can track contest standings.