Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Splendid People

I'm a solitary person by nature. I think a lot of writers are --> we observe, ruminate, critique, consider, write. And write. And write. And write. (Unless you're a meta-dork, as recently unveiled in Anthony Pacheco's latest team blog post.)

But I thoroughly enjoyed meeting up with Uppington, Patrick, Dave, and unblogged John at Wenatchee's Write on the River Conference this past weekend.

I've lost five minutes of time just sitting here thinking about the conversations and laughs and dinner we shared. And, of course, the critical levels of insight...

I have no deep thoughts to offer you today (not that I do any day, now that I think about it) -- just a shout out to awesome and talented people. I'm a better person for meeting each of you. Thank you for that.

6 comments:

stu said...

Meeting fellow writers can be fun. There's always at least one thing to talk about, and usually a lot more.

Charlie Rice said...

I've always wanted to attend a conference and as a New York resident, I have no excuse not to.

I find it a little pathetic that I'm 46 and still shy. Pathetic.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Awesome that you got to meet up with them all!

Dave said...

It's great to share a common experience as writers. I loved the key note speech and the Maass presentations/workshops. Brian M. had a good presentation on visual story telling too. I'd love to hear about the other sessions that I missed.

Anthony's blog on talking about writing was interesting, but I think there is more to it than just getting information. Making connections and knowing about the journey other writers are on is important too. Would that I could meet up with other writers at conferences more often. Although, the fact that it is such a rare occurance makes it that much more appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Charlie - are you allowed to live in New York if you're shy? I always thought it was against the rules, lol! It's not pathetic, either - probably keeps you out of the trouble I get into by not being shy.

Alex & Dave - I wish we could meet every week, and talk about what we're writing, etc. But, I guess the Blogs will have to serve!

Alex Moore said...

@stu: oh indeed! i'm thankful for the Internet, else i'd never "meet" writers (like you) who live so far away...but it is delightful to meet up w/ writerly chums and talk shop

@charlie: oh my...the opportunities you have in NY! you simply must take advantage of your location -- if for no other reason than because so many of us can't! :) As for shyness, well, I suppose I'm rather shy as well. But writerly folk are so down-to-earth and kind and warm -- they'll welcome you so quickly that you'll forget your shyness within moments!

@Lady Glamis: warms the soul, it does

@dave: actually, maass & mcdonald were the only two that "fed" me. but those two sessions made the trip and expense worth it...

@uppington: & i'm so glad we have our blogs -- even if i'm not as consistent as I used to be :D